Wednesday’s Writing in the Moonlight: The Beatles
These are a collection of quotes I found inspirational as a writer.
John Lennon’s quotes:
- “My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all.”
- The goal was always just a few yards ahead.
- You can be bigheaded, and say, “Yeah, we’re going to last 10 years.” But as soon as you’ve said that, you think, “You know, we’re lucky if we last three months.”
- It’s still the same up there with the mike, you don’t try to work out what it all means, you forget who you are. Once you plug in and the noise starts, you’re just a group playing anywhere again and you forget that you’re Beatles or what your records are; you’re just singing.
- It’s a bit haphazard. There’s no rules for writing.
- What's talent? I don't know. Are you born with it? Do you discover it later on? The basic talent is believing you can do something.
Paul McCartney’s quotes:
- I just always enjoy it; if you really enjoy what you do, you don't want to stop.
- I just want to do my job well. And really, that's all I'm ever trying to do.
- Nothing pleases me more than to go into a room and come out with a piece of music.
- I don't know how I got here, and I don't know how I write songs. I don't know why I breathe.