Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. James 1:22-25
We are to do what the Bible tells us. Many of us sit on the pew every Sunday and leave services, forgetting what we have just heard. We need to stop it. You’ve probably seen this video:
So, what are some of the things the Bible tells us to do? Romans 12 gives us a good starting place. Consider these:
1. Let love be without hypocrisy.
2. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good.
3. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor;
4. not lagging behind in diligence,
5. fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
6. rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation,
7. devoted to prayer,
8. contributing to the needs of the saints,
9. practicing hospitality.
10. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
11. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
12. Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly.
13. Do not be wise in your own estimation.
14. Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men.
15. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
16. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY,” says the Lord. “BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD.”
17. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:9-20
Stop just sitting on the pew, letting God’s word wash off you like water off a duck’s back. Instead start doing what the Bible teaches us.
And we “will be blessed in what (we do)”!