..that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Philippians 3:10-11On occasion, people have told me God has given me the "gift" of writing. While I agree God has given me great and wondrous gifts, I don't think God gave me the gift of writing. Instead, these are the gifts I believe I've been given.
1. God gave me the gift of the love for reading. Most of us love "stories," and I am no exception to that.
2. God gave me the opportunity to develop my reading ability. When we moved into a house in Toul, France, isolated from other Americans and with a basement full of books, I spent over a year immersed in (almost) nonstop reading.
3. God gave me the gift of parents who instilled a work ethic in me. Both were raised on farms and knew the value of hard work.
4. God gave me the gift of people who have encouraged and helped me on my journey.
5. God gave me the gift of curiosity, a desire to learn. Sometimes my progress could have been measured in inches and, yet, I have progressed.
If you do not step forward, you will always be in the same place. ~Nora Roberts
Going forward is the only way to succeed. By using God's gifts, surrendering to his will, he transforms us into what he wants us to be. I pray he continues to form me as I rely on his power and strength.